Thursday, October 18, 2012

Humbling Experience

Yesterday was a big day for our family. We finally had Walter's doctor appointment at the Children's Hospital in Denver. We had an early appointment so stayed at Tyler and Jaymie's house Tuesday night.  I always love when we get to see them.  Tyler and Jaymie were beyond awesome and gave up their bed to us so I wasn't sleeping on an air mattress. We had a little bit of a long night, Walter was excited to be at his cousins house and didn't settle down until eleven, my nerves for his appointment got the best of me and I was up sick and throwing up.  At one point of the night I woke up to Walter in bed with me and found Jason on Walter's bed on the floor:)  Not the best start to a long day.  We found the hospital fairly easy, it was about an hour way.  The hardest part was getting to the hospital and trying to find the front entrance. With a little help from a random stranger, and loving that they valeted dually trucks, we were on the right track. It took help from another random stranger to find the right elevators, but they landed us right were we needed to be.
 We started out in the pulmonary department.  Here is our cute guy waiting for his appointment and reading like dad.  I was extremely pleased with our doctor.  She took everything so seriously and had me go through every episode he has had and how it was handled.  The whole time taking very detailed notes.  She did an exam of him.  When checking his lungs she would ask him to take a big breath and then do it herself.  He would copy her right away.  It was too cute and making us all laugh. He was very tired and hungry.  He didn't eat breakfast and  had to be fasting for a test later on. We found out he is 34.5 inches long and weighs 31 pounds. After two hours of going over everything and getting a prescription for him to help prevent any more episodes while we are figuring out what is going on, we headed to the flu clinic with strict orders for all three of us to receive shots.  Walter didn't even cry I was so proud of how brave he was.
 From there we were sent to radiology department.  Walter had two x-rays done, which his daddy had to help him with.  Once again despite being tired and hungry he was amazingly brave and shed no tears!  We had an appointment in radiology again later in the day so we left for Walter to take a nap in his carseat.  He was out instantly so Jason and I hit a drive thru.  We hadn't ate yet either so we didn't do it in front of him. We had been trying to keep his mind off of it. Anyways we had some time until the appointment so Walter was able to get a solid nap under his belt. When we checked back in we found out an additional xray had been ordered for him.  So we tackled that one, but they were behind schedule on his Upper GI scan so we cruised the hospital for a bit. From what I understand he did pretty good in his last appointment he shed some tears when they squirted the stuff in his mouth for him to drink.  It was hard not being apart of all of the xrays.  But being pregnant meant I had to stay in the hall.   I was so glad for Walters attachment for his dad.  Nobody could believe how ok he was with me leaving and how well he would be with his dad:)


At 3:30 we were finally headed out with all appointments completed! Walter ate a whole personal pan pizza.  He was a hungry boy. Considering how full of a day it was I think he did very well with it all! While there we were able to observe so many families with children who had complications obviously so much worse than ours.  I couldn't help but think how they would pay lots of money to  switch situations with us..It was truly a humbling experience. I find myself griping over the emotional, financial, and physical toll medical issues are taking on our family this year.  I can not imagine what some of those families are facing.  So today my motto is to be thankful for my problems and keep chugging away. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel I'm sure of it.

I am still on bedrest, but had got permission to do this day with Walter.  I was so tired by the time we made it home and was so thankful for the lasagna ready to slip in the oven sent by Jaymie! Currently Allis is still breech and also transverse.  If she don't flip(both ways) by week 36 a c-section will be scheduled at our goal of 37 weeks. Only time will tell.

No comments: